Friday, July 12, 2013

Monument 14

YA SERIES LAY

"Your mother hollers that you’re going to miss the bus. She can see it coming down the street. You don’t stop and hug her and tell her you love her. You don’t thank her for being a good, kind, patient mother. Of course not—you launch yourself down the stairs and make a run for the corner.Only, if it’s the last time you’ll ever see your mother, you sort of start to wish you’d stopped and did those things. Maybe even missed the bus.But the bus was barreling down our street, so I ran."

 Fourteen kids. One superstore. A million things that go wrong. 

And then be sure to check out the sequel:

 YA SERIES LAY

DAY 12

It was a lovely moment. Astrid hugging little Caroline and Henry. Luna barking and licking all the faces she could reach. Of course, we were all wearing five layers of clothing to protect our skin from the compounds. And I had on my air mask. And Chloe was off to the side, masked and layered up and lying in a drugged sleep on an inflatable mattress. But for us, in the Greenway, it was a nice moment. Seeing Astrid kiss them all over their little, dirty, freckled faces made me feel hopeful and happy. I guess seeing Astrid expressing love for them made my own feelings for her swell up. I felt like my heart would burst.
Then Astrid took in a deep breath. And I saw her nostrils flare. She inhaled too long and I knew the rage was kicking in.


No comments:

Post a Comment